By: Sharon Aron Baron
Back in 1968, Ken Behring of Behring Properties started building homes in the Woodlands. The Woodlands was a new concept in country club living and it attracted many wealthy Fortune 500 business owners from the Northeast who wanted a vacation home down in Florida.
Many of the home models were expensive in their day. The homes on Woodlands Boulevard and the end of White Oak were all custom homes on premium lots that cost more than the typical home. For these, owners hired their own builder to customize them, and they are still are showcases to this day.
Here is a look at one of the first “Visa Villa “models to choose from:
From the 12/20/1969 Brochure:
The Good Life is Here…..
Fort Lauderdale’s exclusive New Country Club Community
The Banyan Model
A Distinctive Interpretation of the clean, graceful lines inherent in contemporary design, in a fascinating Two-Bedroom Idea home. Located in a fairway setting surrounded by magnificent wooded areas…..the accent is on spacious living inside and out. Even a brief study of the floor plan indicates that here truly is something most unusual. (3-Bedroom plans also available)
All this for only $24,800! Of course you could get your “optional” air conditioning and heating for only $,1,075. If anyone chose to leave out this important option, I’d have to bet they were snowbirds.
Beautiful Recreation Areas Offer Club-Like Facilities
…every Vista Villa section has its own village green and recreation facility for the exclusive use of residents. The completely equipped clubhouse, pool, barbeque and picnic grounds, as well as the other recreations are a busy scene anytime of the day.
Please click on the brochures to make them larger.
Thank you to Edie Grien of Coldwell Banker Realty who saved this gem in perfect condition over the course of 40 years.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.11.20NatureScape Broward Accepting 2022 Emerald Award Applications
- Latest News2021.10.05‘Dowling For Congress’ Campaign Gets Political Boost From Vice Mayor of Tamarac
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes