Jackie Buck and Ricky

A Woodlands couple is devastated after losing their cat to a Coyote roaming around the area.

Section 7 residents, Steve and Jackie Buck lost their cat, Ricky, on September 5 when he was found mauled by a coyote.

Back in December, residents discovered a coyote around Section 8 which was written about here on the Woodlands Tamarac.

Six months ago, Steve saw what he believed was a coyote near his home. Not certain exactly what it was, he looked at it, then did some research. He confirmed that it was a coyote, but  after it ran away, he never believed it would become a threat to anyone’s pets.

Three months ago, their neighbor’s dog, Maggie saw a coyote and chased it away. Then on July 5, golfers found a mauled cat on the 10th hole of the East Course. They realized it was killed by a coyote because workers saw one in the area on several occasions. Steve wasn’t sure if the cat was anyone’s pet, but seemed friendly and domesticated when Steve played golf in the area.

They never believed that the coyote would kill their own cat, Ricky. Unlike their other female cats, Ricky was like most male cats and loved being outside but always came home to eat. He was only six years old and was adopted along with his sister Lucy from the Broward County Humane Society. A domestic shorthair, Ricky was friendly to everyone. “Everyone knew Ricky on our street and he was friendly with everyone,” said Jackie. “Ricky was even friendly with Maggie next door.”

At the WHOA meeting this evening, Steve Buck was appointed to hire a trapper to humanely relocate the coyote.  Finlayson, Vice President ClubLink Corp agreed to share the cost with the association.

If you do see the coyote, Steve Buck asks that you contact him immediately and let him know the location. 954-816-3688 or email him at StealthFL@hotmail.com.

Author Profile

Sharon Aron Baron
Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.

53 Responses to "Coyote Kills Family Pet in the Woodlands"

1. Nancy Tomaszewski

We again encountered the coyote last week. It was roving in our backyard when I was out walking our Westie and terrier. Thankfully, the terrier (10 lbs) was very close to me and not attacked but the Westie being so friendly with all dogs was picked up by the coyote and being carted away. I was able to yell, clap and slowly intimidate the coyote and he lost his grip on the dog. I immediately scooped him up and RAN to our home with the terrier in tow as well. I brought him immediately to our vet who confirmed we were very lucky and the dog was not harmed. The vet thinks the coyote bit part of the dog collar which prevented the dog from injury. We are extreme animal lovers and do not want the coyote killed however it has been roaming this area for close to a year killing one cat and 4 rabbits that we are currently aware of. It would be awesome if the animal could be trapped and re-located.

2. This was the animal I posted about two weeks ago on the community website. I was walking my dogs in broad daylight when it came out of a copse of woods. I raced off hoping it would not follow.

3. GP

Thanks so much for this information. I keep looking for a map that shows the sections so I can see where Section 8 is. I know I have used the map from your site, but now I can’t find it. Help? Thanks!

Editor: I just added the Woodlands Map to the site. You can find it under Woodlands – next to the HOME button.

4. Michael

I just want to say once again to Mr.& Mrs. Buck how sorry I am for their loss of their beloved cat. I have five cats myself, one tuxedo cst like you had and I would also be devasted if anything like that happened to any of my cats. For those of you who were not at the WHOA meeting last night (9/10/12), read the above to find out what is being done in this situation. Also keep your cats indoors if you can and all of us must remain very alert when walking or driving around the area. Tell your neighbors who are not aware of this and hopefully very soon they can humanely trap it and relocate it to a proper habitat. The gentleman at the meeting last night, I think his name is Larry made a joke, it went something like this,” the coyote ( he pronounced it cay-ot) didn’t belong on the golf course because it didn’t golf.” I thought it was in very poor taste to say that. I would like to think he felt a little humor was needed to soften up the highly charged atmosphere, however, The Bucks are hurting, and as a fellow animal lover, one has to think, would you find that funny if it were your pet that was killed? I also noticed, that besides myself, not many if anyone else offered their sympathy to the Bucks. Patti should have made a formal anouncement to offer her sympathy to them and apologized for not doing more, especially since she was aware of the coyote situation weeks ago.

5. Debbie Toro

That is terrible news. While I have large dogs, I do have an indoor cat who does like to sneak out given the chance. I can not imagine the devastation! Where did this coyote even come from?

6. Richard Tomaszewski

This coyote has at least two dens in Section 8. One is in a wooded section along NW 64th street near the end of Queen Palm. The other is in a wooded area behind the homes between numbers 4511-4603 Norfolk Island Pine. My terriers were attacked last Thursday and I have been seeking to eliminate this threat immediately.
    Richard Tomaszewski 4607 Norfolk Island Pine Drive

7. Debbie Toro

I also want to send out my deepest sympathy to the Buck family and any other victims of this coyote. I agree that he should be removed humanely. I am just so sad to hear this tragedy.

8. GP

Thanks for the map! It helps.

Also, thank you to the WHOA and Country Club for paying for this. Perhaps someone could post the name of the company used for all of us to contact, if needed. We have possums, raccoons and foxes around here, as well. I cringe every time I see a homeowner letting their pets run free on the golf course. The possum and the raccoon are much larger than some of the dogs and cats I see on the course.

Losing a pet in this way is horrific and if one of these wild animals attacked my pet, humane treatment of it would not be a consideration.

9. Karen Brocki

I was walking the golf course about 5:00am about 2 weeks ago and saw the Coyote as well. I first saw him about 1 year ago in almost the same area. I wonder what else he has been eating to survive this long in our community?

10. sb

This is the latest and probably the last update on status until capture. I met with the trapper Wednesday and a game plan has been determined by the trapper. He is going to set some bait for a few days to lure the coyote to a particular area. Then, after that, he will place the bait in the trap and hopefully the coyote will go into the trap.

All sightings for section 8 have been from residents from 4509 thru 4611 Norfolk Island Pine Drive and Tamarind Circle. The coyote walks between the houses of those addresses to get to the wooded area on 64th avenue.

11. Steve and Jackie Buck

We want to thank everyone for your kind thoughts and compassion for us with respect to our wonderful pet, Ricky. Through the years we have adopted many cats and have experienced loss due to health issues, etc., but this has been the most difficult and devastating loss we have experienced.

While it is unfortunate that nothing has been done until now and Steve and I reported sightings two months before Ricky’s demise, a trapper has now been retained and hopefully will catch this wild animal soon and our neighborhood will be safe again and no one else will have to feel the tragic loss we do.

Thanks again to all of our friends and neighbors who care, and especially to Sharon for creating and providing this website for all of us Woodlands residents.

Jackie and Steve

12. Jennifer

Please keep us posted when the coyote is captured. I live in section 8, exactly where everyone has seen it, but never seen it myself! If I had seen it, I would have hired a trapper myself to remove the threat. Of course, that explains where all the rabbits went…(I don’t mean wild rabbits, I mean the ones that one would buy at the pet store, but they were allowed outside). I wonder where it CAME from. What a horrible place for a wild animal to live. I am sorry for everyone who has lost a pet as result…

Editor: Jennifer, you brought up a very good point. I have not seen any of those rabbits in a long time. They use to hang out in your section.

• Jennifer

I know! I used to see them be-bopping around on the golf course at night. I sort of figured that whoever owned them finally brought them inside. Interestingly enough, I spoke about the rabbits to an exotic animal vet (who focused her practice on rabbits – I had to take my rabbit to her) and I do believe she actually mentioned to me that the predominant reason domesticated rabbits should not be kept loose outside is that they have lost their wild instincts, which allows them to be more susceptible to predators, and she actually mentioned coyotes. I didn’t even put two and two together until now (I remember thinking, “coyotes??? Here?”).

13. Jacquelyn

All of the animals I have taken care of over the years have become family to me. Ricky was one of the most special out of all of them. It’s really not the same without him here in the Woodlands. I will always miss him running up to me while i was jogging by or while i was hopping out of my car. All he ever wanted was to give kisses and have his belly rubbed. He was really so special and full of love. I feel horrible about the situation and my heart goes out to the Bucks. I personally did not even know about this coyote until it was too late. People definitely need to be made aware of its existence in our neighborhood, and it needs to be taken to its natural habitat immediately.

14. Sandra

My deepest sympathy to Mr.& Mrs. Buck, I am really sorry for your loss. I am glad to know the idea is to trap and relocate. GP, I hope your statement “if one of these wild animals attacked my pet, humane treatment of it would not be a consideration” would never become true. You should understand that even your dogs or cats under extreme hunger and back into “basic instints mode” would attack to survive. He is not a person doing harm for fun he is just an animal trying to survive, the only way s/he knows…

15. Richard Tomaszewski

Just saw the coyote on the grounds of the Section 8 clubhouse at 8:15 P.M.Thursday 9/20

16. Jackie and Steve

Please continue your posts of sightings, including the date, time and exact location. Be careful as the coyote was seen Saturday, September 22nd at approximately 1:00 pm on the golf course (third hole of east golf course). This is the first time the coyote has been seen during the day.

17. Jackie and steve

A recent sighting reported that there is not just one coyote, but two. They were seen several feet from one another. We do not know if they are male, female, etc., but the average litter is five pups. We do have a trapper in place and do not want anyone to panic, but if anyone sees anything, it is requested that it is posted immediately.

We need to make our neighborhood safe again so please be alert and keep communication going.

As always, we will keep you apprised.

18. Jennifer

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine who lives in Chicago (well, the ‘burbs outside of Chicago) recently posted a story on Facebook about the coyotes he encounters in his neighborhood. Apparently they are in “relative abundance” there. Anyway, I’m surprised that they have not yet been trapped, especially considering the small area in which they are roaming. I just saw an article where a coyote was trapped in Central Park after 2 days. It’s been what, about a month?

19. Adam

I keep an anvil hanging from a rope just above the garage.

• Jennifer

Cute.

• Jennifer

Cute…lol.

Editor: The anvil comments were not made by the Adam that is married to the author, but another Adam that lives in the Woodlands.

• Jennifer

Ok, so my first cute comment was the appropriate one. The second one was after I made the first eye-rolling cute comment when thought that perhaps it was Adam married to the author being facetious (I know how facetious he can be) and I couldn’t take back the first comment.

Just because a wild animal has killed a domesticated pet does not mean that said wild animal deserves to be killed. We as pet owners should recognize that there are dangers in allowing our pets to roam, including being hit by a car, getting bitten by a rabid animal, and unfortunatley being killed by another animal, whether it is a domesticated dog, poisonous snake, or a wild animal. Therefore, my pet(s) are not allowed outside to roam and when walking outside, they are leashed. Of course, there are always those times (well, one time) when pets accidentally get loose.

20. Cesar Sastre

It is my understanding a live chicken is being tortured and used to lure and trap the coyote. Really? Sacrificing the lfe of an innocent animal to kill a predator animal that kills domestic animals that should be kept indoors not trespassing on the property of the club. As an animal lover, I keep mine indoors in a safe environment, not out in the wild where it can be hurt or multiply and become a nuisance to the community. The safest place for a domestic pet is indoors.

Editor: Cesar I was made aware of this and I wholeheartedly agree with you and said that no way should a baby chicken be traumatized like this. I don’t care if the chick doesn’t get hurt…I don’t want it here. I drove by one of the traps today..I wasn’t even looking for it, but was on my cart today and looked and there was no chick inside thankfully!

• Jennifer

WHAT!?!?! Who is this “trapper”? I am still surprised at the length of time it is taking to capture these animals. So, are the traps near the dens?

21. Cesar Sastre

More importantl than domestic animals, coyotes are also known to attack children. We need to protect the kids in the neighborhood. The coyote needs to be properly and humanely trapped, which can be done without sacrificing another animal, and re-located ASAP!

22. Jennifer

Interesting that I just saw this on cnn.com:

October 8th, 2012
    08:51 AM ET
    Share this on: Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon Coyotes may soon be hanging out in your backyard
    “Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!”

Those creatures had Dorothy worried on the yellow brick road in “The Wizard of Oz” – and now you may need to worry about seeing them and other large carnivores in your backyard, an Ohio State University researcher says.

OK, there shouldn’t be any tigers – they aren’t found in the wild in North America – but lions (mountain), bears, wolves and coyotes are finding urban areas to be just right for a comfortable existence, says Stan Gehrt, an associate professor of environment and natural resources.

Gehrt says coyotes are leading the urban invasion by formerly rural carnivores.

“The coyote is the test case for other animals. Raccoons, skunks, foxes – they’ve already been able to penetrate the urban landscape pretty well. The coyote is the most recent and largest,” Gehrt said in a university press release.

One pack of coyotes has established a territory and is thriving about five miles from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, the third busiest airport in the country, according to Budget Travel.

“That’s an indication that they don’t have to go far to find food and water. They’re finding everything they need right there, in the suburbs of Chicago,” Gehrt said.

Coyotes spotted in New York City

And he said the urban environments may be even better than rural ones for the coyotes, with pups surviving in urban areas at five times the rate they do in rural settings.

“They’re so adaptable and so opportunistic,” Gehrt said. “In adjusting to urban life, they may change dietary items and habitat use, and become nocturnal, whereas in the country they’re active day and night. But with other things, they don’t change at all. Here, they’re able to maintain their social structure, territorialism, packs and mating system, even in the face of all these challenges of trying to live among 9 million people.”

In an earlier release, Gehrt said one trait that may be helping coyotes thrive in urban areas is their monogamy, which means dads are around to help raise the kids.

“If the female were to try to raise those large litters by herself, she wouldn’t be able to do it. But the male spends just as much time helping to raise those pups as the female does,” he said.

“You’re doing them a favor. They show a healthy respect and fear of people and that’s the way it should be,” he said.

Have you seen a large carnivore in the city? Tell us about it.

They also eat rodents and even bugs which can pose dangers to human health, he said. Of course, they may also eat your dog or cat.

The abundance of carnivore food may also bring larger carnivores into urban settings.

Gehrt said a mountain lion was recently killed in the Wrigleyville area of Chicago.

Sightings of mountain lions and bears in suburban areas are increasingly common. And they can pose a bigger danger to humans.

“They are going to be an even bigger challenge,” Gehrt said.

Gehrt’s coyote research has been going on for 12 years. His team has tracked about 680 coyotes by placing radio collars on them.

Gehrt spoke at the EcoSummit 2102 in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday.

• Jennifer,

Sorry about your posts being published out of order…

Maybe having these coyotes aren’t such a bad thing after reading that article. You know, we do have a big problem with possums and raccoons here. Maybe this is just the way we have population control on these critters.

This part is very important: “The urban coyotes pose little danger to humans, Gert said, and can be easily scared off by yelling at them or throwing a rock at them.”

The experience we have had here w/the coyote(s) is that they are very much afraid of humans.

Are we overreacting because an outdoor pet was killed? Maybe we should just let these coyotes be?

My fear is that we catch either a male or female and if they had a den, the babies would die.

How about we think about calling the trapping off?

My opinion.

Sharon

• Jennifer

No; you didn’t publish out of order…no problem! I would certainly hope that someone (the trapper) would track down the den and confirm that there are no babies there (I understand that we know the location of the dens- which is in MY part of the neighborhood and I’ve never even seen these guys!). The coyotes have done nothing wrong; they are acting on natural instincts and it’s no fault of theirs that they have happened to kill domesticated pets (it’s a tragedy, but I would like to re-iterate that unfortunatley there are always dangers in allowing pets to roam without supervision…).

23. Steve Buck

Residents, Let me assure you no chicken is being tortured. Your information is incorrect. Today I received an email from Cristina Ramirez who witnessed 3 coyotes Wednesday night. Cesar, do you have any trapping ideas? We need help not opposition. Coyote’s are smart animals.
    It doesn’t happen overnight. We should be supported of whatever humane methods are needed to support our trapper.

24. Steve Buck

There are several options for removal. At this time Woodlands Homeowners Association has decided to suspend trapping of the coyote. Shocking they would do this after I reported at the WHOA meeting last night that a resident saw three of them at once. So, We now have a minimum of three instead of one.
    The board is seeking advice from a “coyote expert” for next month’s meeting on the 2nd Monday. The president offered a suggestion that coyotes are rampant all over the U.S. and that maybe we should carry a whistle to scare them off if they approach. I encourage everybody to attend next month’s meeting on the 2nd Monday to listen to what the expert has to say. Please contact your section president for more information. Thank you to all the people that posted stories and sightings. Good luck to all of us.

25. Cesar Sastre

It is good to know the chicken is no longer in the trap as it had been reported to myself and others. I am not a trapper, I would expect an experienced and licensed trapper to know exactly what to do in this situation. As stated previously, I am not opposed to relocating coyotes as I am most concerned about the welfare of the children in the community. On the other hand, if the Woodlands has a problem with stray cats, then maybe the coyotes serve a purpose, assuming they are no danger to humans. We certainly don’t want the Woodlands to become a kitty litter. Again, domestic animals should remain indoors or tethered on their owner’s property regardless of the presence of coyotes as there are other threats to domestic animals allowed to wander freely. This is what we do to protect our animal and also as a courtesy to my neighbors who rightfully would not want my animal on their property.

26. Michael

Cesar, I can’t believe you would say that we have a stray cat problem and that the coyote killing them is a way to solve that problem. Silly me thought that neutering them would help that. We have over population in the world, so we should let people get killed in order to solve that problem? I have seversl cats that like to sit in my screened in patio, only when I am home of course, so that means if the coyote decides to break through my screen and kill my cats, that is ok? You think a stray cat deserves to be mutilated by a wild animal. The stray is there because someone discarded or lost their poor animal. How about stray dogs or a dog that got off its lease, will the coyotes take care of that problem too? Maybe a small child may get attacked because they are playing on their property, because a parent turned away for a few minutes. The situation requires that the coyotes either are trapped and humanely relocated, or we learn to live with them and take precaution. I thought protecting ourselves from the crime around here was bad enough, now we have to add coyotes to the list.

27. Cesar Sastre

Michael, I can’t believe you would equate human life to animal life. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on which form of life is more valuable. The key word you missed in my post is the word: “if”. IF we have a stray cat problem, that would need to be addressed in some humane manner, if not by nature’s way. Are we going to start worrying about lizards or rodents who get killed by cats? Coyotes also deal with racoons. Do we want wild racoons? What was troubling was the fact that a live chicken was being used as bait in this ordeal. That is a fact and was eye witnessed.
    Getting back to the coyote, did anyone actually eye witness the coyote killing the cat or is this all about speculation? Lets not jump to conclusions with a knee jerk reaction and possible unintended consequences, which often happens as a result of knee jerk reactions. What if the cat ran out in front of a car and was killed? Are we going to trap and kill the driver of the vehicle? Come on man…

• Speaking of speculation. We don’t know for sure if there are 1 or 100 coyotes. Steve said 3 were spotted, but unless they are together, we really don’t know. One coyote can move around the area with no problem.

28. Cesar Sastre

By the way, I have also seen a fox on the course. Foxes will attack cats. I have had cats for years and keep them indoors where they are the safest, especially if they have been declawed.

29. Michael

Cesar, I never said any life was more valuable than another, you are saying that I said that. All life is precious. We are not living in a wild jungle where survival of the fitest is concerned, especially involving our domestic pets. When one of my cats catches a lizard I rescue it. You said “if the Woodlands has a problem with stray cats then perhaps the coyotes would take care of that problem.” I don’t think we want snake bites and coyotes eating any cats. As I mentiioned before stray cats are stray because of human neglect or by accident. You seem to have your own ideas of which forms of life are more valuable, not me, I never said that. My statement means that all life is important and we try to preserve it as much as possible. You are the one making the crazy analogies not me. When a driver on our block ran over a rather large duck a few years ago, he was warned. If you want to go to the extreme Cesar to prove your point, then do so. Do you think Steve Buck deliberately put his cat in harm’s way? The cat sprayed a lot in the house ( yes he was neautered ), so they let him sit nearby the house. He didn’t know that wild aggressive creatures roamed the neighborhood. Humans are more dangerous to animals than other animals. So you ” come on man” Guess the 1960’s are back…

30. Cesar Sastre

Michael, you are right. No need for crazy analogies to make my points. I apologize. As far as anyone deliberately putting their cat in harms way, I would certainly hope not.
    Without the need for analogies, my points are very simple:
    1) I would hope we all can agree that using a live chicken as bait to lure any animal is probably not a good idea and unacceptable. This was being done but thankfully this is no longer happening.
    2) “Domestic” pets are safest inside the home of the owner and if allowed outside, in the control and protection of the owner. There are a number of threats to domestic cats, (not to be confused with wild and stray cats). These threats are not limited to coyotes; threats such as foxes, wild cats, raccoons, possums, snakes and motor vehicles.
    3) Finally, while humanely capturing and relocating coyotes might be the right call in this case, all I am stressing is we should calmly consider the consequences and “potential” unintended consequences of messing around with nature. Also, if we are intent on removing coyotes, do we then want to also consider trapping and relocating wild cats, raccoons, foxes, snakes, etc…?

• Jennifer

I agree with Cesar. (btw Cesar, you are right about the foxes too…I’ve seen foxes for many years around here and they do attack cats. It is quite possible that a fox is what mauled the cat…I would think a coyote would have eaten it, whereas a fox, being smaller, may not have been able to) It is very sad about the Buck’s cat and any other domestic animal that may have been killed by coyotes, foxes, cars, whatever. Neither I nor my husband have even seen these coyotes, which live in my section of the neighborhood, but it seems that they do have a fear of humans. I have seen mention on here that we should fear for our children, but I have not read that coyotes prey upon humans, children or otherwise. I would certainly hope that no 5 year old child is outside without supervision. I think the best thing to do is to contact someone who is studying coyotes and find out the facts before contacting some trapper who may or may not be knowledgeable about coyotes. From what I have read on the internet, there are a number of groups studying urban coyotes, which seem to populate urban areas more commonly than people think. I just took a few minutes to educate mysaelf on the issue and it would probably behoove others to do the same. At what point do we stop removing animals from their habitat ~ remember, we’re the encroachers. Where do we stop? Do we remove the coyotes, then move on to the foxes and so on?

31. CM

Keep your pets in or supervised. Predators are everywhere. You should be more scared of the humans running around taking and killing pets at random.

32. cm

Prayers to the family and the cat.

33. Michael

Cesar, I gladly accept your apology and now agree with what you are saying, as well as what Jennifer has mentioned. We all need to be mindful of the wild and dangerous creatures that live in our community, the animals too, ha. The next WHOA meeting we are expecting a guest speaker, who will talk about coyotes and educate us about them. Once taht is done, we should be able to move forward and come up with a humane solution to this situation…

34. Nancy Tomaszewski

Just a heads up so that we do not become complacent; I encountered one coyote this morning at 8:30 a.m. on NW 64th street which abuts my yard on Norfolk Island Pine. My 2 dogs were in my back yard and both were on leashes (one of my dogs was attacked a few months ago (not injured)…lesson learned). Please do not let your guard down if you have pets. I still see people in the area that let their dogs loose late a night. Depending on the breed and size of the dog it could actually provoke the coyote causing the coyote to agressively defend itself. When my dog was attacked, my instinct was to try to save his life. I approached the coyote with aggression, clapping my hands/yelling which prompted him to loose the grip on my dog. The coyote was afraid of me and as I continued to yell and flail my arms around, he became intimidated and ran into the woods. I don’t believe they are a threat to humans unless they have babies nearby that they need to protect.

35. Andrew

Coyote’s afraid of humans today will not stay that way. They are wild animals just like any other and will do what is in their best interest. The longer they stay close to huymans the less afraid they will become. A curious child/kid or even adult who wishes to befriend a wild animal is asking for serious trouble, just a matter of time. Now that everyone is aware of their presence, it could become a legal matter if someone were injured. If their food supply runs short they will become more desperate. The longer they are allowed to stay the more likely their pack will grow and what started as a small problem will become a much larger one. People can argue all they want about people with pets, people without pets, who keeps them in and who doesn’t, it makes no difference and neither is doing anything wrong regardless of anyone else’s personal beliefs. The fact is, wild coyote’s are in the area and they should be dealt with in a humane fashion as quickly as possible. Coyote’s are extremly smart animals and not easy to trap, experts are required to get them and relocate them, be it trap or tranquuilizer gun.

Obviously any pet owner who lets their pets outside for any purpose needs to protect and safe guard them as best they can. If that means keeping them inside until this is resolved then it is in their pets best interest. However, not all residents read this blog so they may not be aware, it might be a good idea to let your neighbors know what is going on, especially if they have pets or kids.

36. Jennifer

I think it is in the animals’ best interest as well that they live elsewhere. But I think someone reputable should be contacted, perhaps even the researchers performing research on coyotes – I would think they have more knowledge than anyone. I saw a few after a simple internet search. I’m not sure though that there is a legal implication if someone were injured by a coyote. These are wild animals. Everyone knows that there are poisonous snakes, raccoons (that can bite and even be rabid) around and I doubt that there would be a legal implication if someone were injured as a result of a snake or raccoon bite. But what do I know? I’m no attorney…

• Andrew

Nor am I an attorney, but I believe that there are potential general liability issues on association grounds. It stands to reason that if the association knows there is a potential issue, animal or otherwise and something happens on association grounds related to that issue it can be a problem.

I would be more than happy to let all the animals live in and around our community, I appreciate them all and they all have a right to live. Coyotes are predators and will act accordingly so if they stay we have to be prepared for other forms of wildlife being effected, ducks, geese, pets etc. Being in such close proximity there are dangers for the coyotes as well. If this was their natural habitat I don’t think it would be much of an issue, but this is not. Granted, this is our fault(encroachment, shrinking natural habitat etc) but that also means we have to deal with it in the most humane and responsible way we can.

From all the posts I’ve seen so far, I believe everyone is in general agreement, no one wants to hurt the coyotes or any other wildlife/animals and no one wants pets or people harmed.

The answer is easy, proper humane trap and relocation to a safe habitat, the doing of it is much more difficult and probably requires a coyote specialist of some sort with proper equipment and our own commitment to getting it done. I agree, using any live animal as bait might be effective but it’s cruel. I think other more humane options need to be considered.

Andrew

37. Jennifer

I don’t know Andrew… it’s funny though that my father & uncle (who has been a judge) were literally just discussing this. My father mentioned the potential legal liability issue to my uncle (the former judge) who had a puzzled look on his face as to there being an legal liability of anyone if someone was injured by a wild animal. As an example, a person could be injured by an alligator and golf courses don’t normally relocate them unless they become aggressive. And we all know that poisonous snakes are bound to around here (to be perfectly honest, I would be more frightened/concerned about running across a rattlesnake, coral snake, or water moccassin than one of the coyotes – be it myself, my dog, or my child). Anyway… I live where they have been spotted and I am not really that concerned about them. Initially I was until I started reading about them on the internet and learned that they are really more prevalent than I initially thought. My friend who recently encountered some in his Chicago suburb mentioned that when a police siren is heard, the coyotes often howl in response. Here is his story:

“Sitting outside on my usual bench, by my usual lake, having my usual drink, and just saw something unusual – three coyotes just passed right by at the lake’s edge.

One of them noticed me from about 15 feet away and stopped, motionless, silhouetted against the lake, his big coyote ears pricked forward as he looked in my direction.

I said, somewhat placidly, “Hello, coyote.”

That was all …he needed to hear. He turned on his heels (do coyotes have heels? ) and ran away. The two that had run ahead of him must have noticed his absence, as they too ran back by a moment later in the same direction that he’d run in making his escape.

Cute little guys. I mean, as long as they’re not gnawing on your ankle or anything.”

38. Andrew

A good link related more specifically to Florida, http://www.thehoalawyer.com/when-nature-attacks-in-your-community/

This is why I say liability, the association knows about it, the Country Club knows about it, both already tried to do something about it, hence the potential liability. It’s just something to be aware of, as I said, I am not an attorney.

Except for a child unknowingly going near a cub filled den or others trying to feed/tame them, I don’t see them as a threat to humans. We are much more of a threat to them and they are probably not safe here. They are however a threat to those animals that do normally reside here, ducks, geese, peoples pets etc.

If our ducks or geese,(those are geese aren’t they?) start to dwindle I think we’ll have an idea why.

Though we live in a nice country club, we are still in the heart of a very large urban area, this is not the suburbs or outer edge so I doubt anyone here ever thought much about wild predators attacking their pets. Raccons, opossums, foxes, alligators are all pretty normal, coyotes not so much. We are not unique here either, coyote’s have been spotted a few times in Coral Springs and Sunrise not too long ago, but those sittings were much closer to the everglades than we are here.

As long as they have a source of food and shelter I’d imagine they will stick around.

In my opinion the best and safest thing we can do for all parties involved is try to get them relocated to a much more suitable habitat.

39. a

A good coyote is the best sollution oo dirty disgusting cats.
    If you have a cat slather it with barb- q sauce and let him loose

40. Michael

a, you are disgusting making an ignorant comment like that. You need help, that is the way would be serial killers start off. For your information cats are one of the cleanest animals and make the best pets, so go get a life and learn how to spell also…

41. stephen cooker

Dog was found with a few bites. Going to the vets. Thanks for all your help. Steve

42. Matt

1) Coyotes are extremely difficult to trap. Reason: They are highly intelligent.

2) An HOA can be found liable if human injured. The key, however – is in proving that such HOA had prior knowledge of risk [ coyotes, for example ], yet failed to actively provide reasonable warnings to residents.

3) Most experts will agree – trapping of a coyote=death to such coyote. Relocation is not deemed a worthy/reasonable solution. Chances are high it will be put down immediately if trapped.

4) Potential Complication – How to know which precise coyote was / is to blame ?

5) Be mindful – A coyote can easily jump over a 6ft fence – do not feel safe even with such a fence in your backyard.