By Sharon Aron Baron
Elvin Dowling, a Democratic candidate for Florida’s 20th Congressional District, announced his campaign for U.S. Congress picked up the support and endorsement of the Vice Mayor of the City of Tamarac, Elvin Villalobos — who coincidentally share the same first name.
In the Special Election to replace the late U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, the Primary Election has been scheduled for Nov. 2, 2021, and the General Election for Jan. 11, 2022.
Speaking together in a joint video statement, Villalobos touted Dowling’s anti-corruption platform and decades of commitment to South Floridians as part of his reasoning for endorsing Dowling in the upcoming Special Election for Florida’s 20th Congressional District.
“After thoughtful prayer and consideration, I am confident in my decision that Elvin Dowling will represent the residents of Tamarac with integrity and character if given the opportunity to serve our interests in Congress,” Villalobos said. “His desire to provide honest servant leadership—for a change—is something that is sorely missing in today’s political environment. That’s why I am proud to offer him my endorsement and, more importantly, my vote,” he continued. “I urge all residents of ‘The City For Your Life!’ to do the same.”
Dowling, an award-winning author, and Pulitzer Prize nominee, is the former Chief of Staff for the National Urban League, a historic civil rights organization.
He currently serves as chairman of one of South Florida’s largest independent food banks. He has helped provide more than 20 million pounds of free food to families struggling with food insecurity since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
If elected, Dowling has committed himself to advocate for increased federal funding for Tamarac community improvement and beautification projects and to hosting regular town hall meetings and forums at the King Point Club House to keep residents updated and informed of issues impacting them at the federal level.
The seat includes the Woodlands, Tamarac, Kings Point, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Belle Glade.
Got news? Send it to the Woodlands Tamarac.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.10.05‘Dowling For Congress’ Campaign Gets Political Boost From Vice Mayor of Tamarac
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- Latest News2021.07.06Tamarac Mayor and Commissioner Up for Reelection