This community is so much different than the one I moved from out near Weston. Back in my old community, the mornings were filled with the sounds of cars speeding down the streets. as everyone was always in a hurry to get to work or school. The streets were desolate. No one hardly came out to walk their dogs because everyone had fences in their backyards where they would open their sliding doors and let their dogs run around out back. Mornings there were lonely.
It’s so different here in the Woodlands. There is a whole city of people that are awake at the crack of dawn walking, running, bicycling and even heading out to their golf games. Yes, I know we have a lot of retirees, but when I’m outside I see the working folks out there as well getting a bit of exercise to start their day.
Dog walking is prevalent in the Woodlands. I know our neighbors dog’s names before I can remember their owner’s names. I can make friends with people by how my dog interacts with theirs which really isn’t hard as my dog loves everyone. Fenced yards are not allowed in the City of Tamarac. You can have a screened in pool or a fence around your pool, but you cannot fence the perimeter of your yard. I think this is a positive thing as it opens all our backyards up to our golf courses and neighbors (more social interaction) and it makes us dog owners have to get up, get out and walk our dogs. Yes, walking the dog in the morning is a tedious chore, but there is so much enjoyment in getting outside and smelling the fresh air knowing that you will be saying “hi” to the walkers and visiting with the other dog owners out there. This truly is a very unique place compared to many other suburban communities.
Yes, we still have people rushing to work and an occasional school bus in and out. But the general pace of the Woodlands as well as the friendliness of our neighbors is something I would never trade.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- Latest News2021.07.06Tamarac Mayor and Commissioner Up for Reelection
- Latest News2021.07.06University Hospital and Medical Center Announce $16 Million in Construction Upgrades