By: Sharon Aron Baron
The beauty of a brand new park erased an ugly chapter in Tamarac’s history on Saturday during the grand opening of the Mainlands Park.
Formerly the Monterey Golf Club, the 23-acre site, now called the Mainlands Park, is now complete with wide concrete paths, exercise stations, shaded benches, and picnic tables.
The land, was once owned by father and son developers Bruce and Shawn Chait who brought down several local and county politicians on charges of corruption who were accused of trading votes for compensation, included former City Commissioner Marc Sultanoff, who died before he could go to trial; Former Commissioner Patte Atkins-Grad, who received a downpayment for a BMW and payment for a victory party for her election; and former Mayor Beth Talabisco who is scheduled to go to trial in February.
The ribbon cutting was led by Director of Parks and Recreation Greg Warner who said it is Tamarac’s first “dog friendly” park. Warner explained that Mainlands Park is not a dog park, however, dogs may be walked on leashes and owners must pick up after their pets. Along the paths, owners will find dog bag receptacles.
The park also includes wifi, restrooms and water fountains.
The paths at the park are wide enough for both pedestrians and bicyclists, but City Commissioner Pam Bushnell suggests bicyclists may want to get a bell to warn the pedestrians they are behind them.
Bushnell added, “it’s a fabulous place and you all deserve it.”
Mainlands Park is located at 4500 Monterey Drive. Just head east on Commercial Boulevard over the Turnpike, make your first right at the light on NW 47 Terrace (Mainlands) then make right at Monterey Drive.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.10.05‘Dowling For Congress’ Campaign Gets Political Boost From Vice Mayor of Tamarac
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- Latest News2021.07.06Tamarac Mayor and Commissioner Up for Reelection