By: Sharon Aron Baron
It’s not exactly in the Woodlands, but it’s the closest park we will have.
The 23-acre park in the Mainlands is under construction and will soon have a new name. Located 4600 Monterey Drive on the other side of the Turnpike, Parks and Recreation Director Greg Warner told the commission that over the next two weeks, workers will be painting the restroom building, installing the picnic tables, benches, and exercise equipment, as well as completing the fishing pier.
Since 2003, park naming policy allows citizen’s input. After publicizing the contest in the Sun Sentinel, a city email blast, and at all of the local schools, the city received only 58 suggestions for names. This could be because the residents were given a phone number to request information on how to pick up a packet for the contest, and did not offer an easy, online submission form.
The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board who was the deciding committee for the 58 names, narrowed them down to three:
- Mainlands Park
- Hidden Palms
- Tamarand Park
The three finalists were published again in the Sun Sentinel for readers to vote on, however, no one responded according to Warner.
With no input, the three names were then forwarded to the city manager and then to the city commission who favored the name Mainlands Park.
“It should be Mainlands Park, that’s what it’s representing,” said Commissioner Diane Glasser.
“I’m fine with Mainlands Park,” said Vice Mayor Michelle Gomez. “I understand that’s what it’s been known as.”
Warner told the commission that the park should be completed in the next month to six weeks.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.10.05‘Dowling For Congress’ Campaign Gets Political Boost From Vice Mayor of Tamarac
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- Latest News2021.07.06Tamarac Mayor and Commissioner Up for Reelection