By Kevin Deutsch
The city of Tamarac this week announced new mask rules and a host of policy changes in response to Florida’s skyrocketing COVID-19 infection totals.
As of Thursday, all people must wear masks upon entering indoor city facilities, regardless of vaccination status. City officials also canceled all voluntary indoor group gatherings until further notice, with a few exceptions.
Where possible, officials said, the city will replace scheduled face-to-face meetings with phone calls and video conferencing.
City shuttles are maintaining normal routes and operations. Masks are required while riding.
The policy changes come amid a statewide surge in COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations.
Florida reported 16,038 new cases Tuesday, with a 7-day test positivity rate of 17.21 percent as of Monday. The state leads the U.S. in new, confirmed COVID infections, data show.
Tamarac’s Parks and Recreation Department also announced the following changes:
– Facility rentals in city parks will continue. Attendees of private indoor events are required to wear masks at all times while inside these facilities.
– Colony West Golf Club guests must wear masks while indoors. Masks are not required when golfing.
– A reduced number of guests are being allowed into the city’s Fitness Center at any one time. Masks are required when entering and leaving the facility. Social distancing is encouraged.
– Caporella Aquatic Center will remain open. Masks are required for all guests upon entering and leaving the facility. Open Swim Sessions will continue from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., with sanitization after each session. Water arthritis classes will continue as scheduled. So will swim lessons, but with a reduced number of students per instructor.
– Youth basketball games and practice sessions are postponed until mid-September.
– Adult Basketball League games and practice sessions will continue as scheduled. Masks are required for players upon entering and leaving game locations and while on the bench.
– Senior, adult, and youth in-person classes will continue as planned with limited participation numbers, allowing for social distancing. Masks are required at all times.
– Summer camp outdoor events will continue as planned. Masks are encouraged. For more information, call the Parks and Recreation Department at (954) 597-3620.
Got news? Send it to the Woodlands Tamarac.