By Sharon Aron Baron
No ifs, and, or putts. The decision of whether to build several hundred new homes in the Woodlands Country Club is one swing away for 13th Floor Homes.
At Monday’s workshop, the Tamarac city commission will set a date for a special meeting to vote on the land-use change that could turn two 18-hole golf courses owned by ClubLink into approximately 397 single-family homes.
On May 4, the vote passed the Broward County Commission.
The meeting wasn’t without tension — and controversy. Woodlands residents appeared either in person or by phone, sharing their opinions for — or against the project.
Cecilia Klein Richards, a resident of the Woodlands, said she hadn’t heard of any real solutions from people that didn’t want the development. “I have watched the Woodlands go down so badly. I think the Woodlands needs 13th Floor to make this a better community.”
Judith Margolis, another resident of the Woodlands, wanted to keep the Woodlands golf course green and read a speech about how the commission must protect the interest of the citizens and the environment. “This is 168 acres in danger of becoming cemented,” she said.
It passed 5 to 3 by Mayor Geller, Vice Mayor Michael Udine, and Commissioners Ryan, Bogan, and Fisher.
Commissioner Nan Rich, who represents the Woodlands, and Commissioners Barbara Sharief and Beam Furr voted no.
This sends the decision back to the Tamarac City Commission for a vote which now looks unlikely to pass.
Former Commissioner Julie Fishman — a “yes” vote on the project, was defeated in November of 2020 by now-Vice Mayor Elvin Villalobos — who has stated he is against it.
Commissioners Mike Gelin and Marlon Bolton are also against the land-use amendment, so unless they’ve changed their minds since the first round of votes, this won’t be a sinker for the developer.
Got news? Send it to the Woodlands Tamarac.
- Sharon Aron Baron created the Woodlands Tamarac in 2010 for original News for the community. In 2011 she went on to create Tamarac Talk, in 2012, Coral Springs Talk and 2017, Parkland Talk.
- Latest News2021.08.24Questionnaire: Barbara Sharief, Democratic Candidate for U.S. House, District 20
- 13th Floor2021.08.20Tamarac City Commission to Set Date Changing the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- Latest News2021.07.06Tamarac Mayor and Commissioner Up for Reelection
- Latest News2021.07.06University Hospital and Medical Center Announce $16 Million in Construction Upgrades